False Claims Act & Qui Tam Litigation
One of the greatest risks to Health Care providers and other companies that do business with the government is the threat of a False Claims Act or Qui Tam case. The possibility of treble damages and significant penalties has resulted in an increase in whistleblower claims and lawsuits by regulators.
Our lawyers are highly experienced at convincing the Federal Government not to intervene in these cases by finding and attacking the weaknesses in a whistleblower’s claims. By being proactive, we are able to manage the cases efficiently and decisively. We are also skilled at coordinating the concurrent issues of criminal or civil and administrative proceedings which are often present in False Claims Act cases.
- Representation of mortgage bank in False Claims Act class action resulting in dismissal of claims against client
- Represented government contractor in pre-intervention negotiation and settlement of False Claims Act action
- On behalf of a hospital group, defended successfully a qui tam claim of broad allegations of fraud; conducted an internal investigation of upcoding at a hospital facility; and pursued a claim as the victim in a kickback scheme
- Represented a hospital system in a parallel criminal/False Claims Act investigation involving Stark issues arising out of its relationship with a world class practice group
- On behalf of a defense contractor, persuaded government not to intervene in a qui tam action
- Representation of a U.S. Army Colonel in False Claims Act case alleging violations of conflict of interest laws and ethics regulations as predicate for False Claims Act case
- Internal investigation for government contracting client and representation of client in successful pre-intervention negotiations with Department of Justice to resolve qui tam suit
- Represented a medical device representative in a False Claims Act investigation
- On behalf of a hospital group, defended successfully a False Claim action alleging broad allegations of fraud; conducted an internal investigation of upcoding at a hospital facility; and pursued a claim as the victim in a kickback scheme
- Represented a healthcare services organization in False Claims Act litigation involving claims of billing and reporting fraud
- Resolved False Claims action in favor of individual physician
- Resolved False Claims action in favor of regional medical practice